Friday, February 11, 2011

possible internship!!

I applied and interviewed for an awesome internship (which i wont tell who or what because its mine! no one can steal it...) It is in a business that hosts events and parties. I am so overly excited about this!! I hope I get it! :)
I have heard from a lot of people that event planning isn't all its choked up to be, which I am okay with, I understand it. Honestly I love having a to-do list. I know the life of an event planner will be crazy busy and hectic, but I am ready for it.

This week I decided to work on a mission statement. Here's what I got so far:

My company's purpose is to:
plan parties
create a fun and friendly environment
provide services that make every event what is was envisioned as.

Values:
Provide high product quality
Provide superior customer service
Protect the quality of the environment
Ensure equal access to resources
Encourage innovation and creativity
Practice sustainable development

Why:
I have always had a passion for planning and decorating. When I was young I moved houses quite a few times in my life and I enjoyed starting with a blank canvas in my room. There were endless possibilities and I could do what ever I wanted. I am a big people person and I enjoy challenges. After being a wedding consultant for so long I have really began to have a fierce passion for event planning.

This is what I started with. Now I need to work on a draft of my statement and then work on a vision statement.


7 comments:

  1. You have peaked my curiousity but I will not ask where your intern is.Sounds like you have some good experience already with event planning and that can only further your possibilities. I can hear the enthusiam in each of your post and hope that you can network with other members of the class who are business majors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    I would like to see you research similar companies to find those that exemplify the goals you lay out for your own company--as well as those cautionary tales of companies that either failed (why?) or are definitely not the sort of company that you would be proud to run (again, why?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internship sounds exciting. Hope it works.

    What makes you especially good at this sort of thing? You'll have to sell yourself and your experience. You've got the bridal experience. Can you write that into this?

    You've got a good eye (as the background for this blog testifies). Are there other examples beyond just the fact that as you've moved you've designed good rooms?

    Will you develop some kind of portfolio?

    ReplyDelete
  4. An internship will give you needed real world experience. That is awesome! Don't forget I can help with any photography or design needs. I would love to be on your list of contacts. If you are hosting an event let me know and I can try to come and help document the event and you can use the photos for a website or brochure, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry. Congrats on the internship, but is the mission statement you have up there your finished project? I think it's more valuable to do what you love, but I guess I don't understand what your new project will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way thats not the finished product. That is my first draft. I have another draft done now that i keep forgetting to post, but here it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have really made good progress! I remember you saying in class that you had no idea what to write about. Now however, you have this business woman sound. It sounds to me that you more looking into wedding planning. Are you considering any other kind of events? What is the focus of this internship? Is this internship going to help you putting together a portfolio? I think it would be great if could bring to the internship an already planed event; if the people in charged like it and want to use it, that would really set you apart!

    ReplyDelete